INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
Pulmonary function tests are a group of tests that measure how well your lungs work. This includes how well you’re able to breathe and how effectively your lungs are able to bring oxygen to the rest of your body.
Would you benefit from having a breathing or allergy test?
Talk to your doctor if you experience any of the following:
New or severe breathlessness?
Frequent chest infections?
Persistent or an unchanged cough?
Chest pain, unexplained fatigue or have had sudden weight loss?
Have you smoked or currently smoking?
Do you need testing to rule out an allergy causing your asthma flare ups?
What to bring to your appointment
• Your GP or specialist referral
• A current medication list and any allergies that you may have
• Your Medicare Card
• Your Veterans Affairs Card if you have one
Lung function preparation instructions
All patients are asked to refrain from the following before their test:
• Smoking (1 hour)
• Performing vigorous exercise (1 hour)
• Consuming alcohol or caffeinated drinks (4 hours)